The Augmented Violin project brings together the development of motion capture systems and the study of bowed string performance. The outcome of this project is essentially a "augmented bow", which can be used to control digital media. The sensors can be mounted on any bow and can thus be used in a mixed acoustic/electronic setup. ThApplications of this research include artistic as well as pedagogical projects (see below).
The various prototypes of the augmented bow are developed at IRCAM by Emmanuel Flety, Nicolas Leroy and Matthias Demoucron. The data captured the prototype include bow acceleration, angular velocity and bow pressure.
The heart of the augmented violin is a removable module attached to the frog of the bow including a 3D accelerometer and gyroscope. The data are sampled at 200Hz and 10 bit resolution and transmitted wirelessly to a computer using the OSC protocol.
The real-time analysis of the data are developed using various software we developed, including the gesture follower.
- Florence Baschet StreicherKreis and Bogenlied
- Mari Kimura website blog
- Equipe Analyse des pratiques musicales-Ircam Suivi de la conception collective d’un "Quatuor augmenté"
- N. Rasamimanana, E. Fléty, F. Bevilacqua « Gesture Analysis of Violin Bow Strokes », Gesture in Human-Computer Interaction and Simulation, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3881, 145-155, 2006
- F. Bevilacqua, N. Rasamimanana, E. Fléty, S. Lemouton, F. Baschet « The augmented violin project: research, composition and performance report », 6th International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME 06), Paris, 2006
- N. Leroy, E. Fléty, F. Bevilacqua « Reflective Optical Pickup For Violin », 6th International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, 2006
- E. Schoonderwaldt, N. Rasamimanana, F. Bevilacqua « Combining accelerometer and video camera: Reconstruction of bow velocity profiles », 6th International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, 2006
- Sebastian Rivas (comp.), Pierre Strauch (cello), Concert « Cursus » Ircam, Oct 23 2006.
- José Miguel Fernandez (comp.), Michel Michalakakos (viola), Concert « Cursus » Ircam, Oct 23 2006.
- Philippe Manoury, Partita 1, for (augmented) viola and electronics, Christophe Desjardins: viola,
- Hector Parra, Tentatives de réalité, for (augmented) cello and electronics, Pierre Strauch: cello
- Mari Kimuara, Vitessimo for violin and Augmented Violin (IRCAM), created as an artist in residence at Harvestworks. Premiered at Harvestworks, ’07.
- Florence Baschet, StreicherKreis, augmented quartet, Quatuor Danel
- Mari Kimura, Phamtom for violin and interactive computer, commissioned by Toni Dove through Here.org. Premiered at Here.org, NYC, 09.
- Mari Kimura, Clone Barcarolle for violin and Augmented Violin (IRCAM), premiered at Issue Project Room, ’09.
- Mari Kimura, Canon Elastique for violin and Augmented Violin (IRCAM), premiered at Tenri Cultural Institute, ’10.
- Mari Kimura, Pédalé, Pédalé! for violin and Augmented Violin (IRCAM), premiered at Tenri Cultural Institute, ’10.
- Mari Kimura,VIOMAX for violin and Augmented Violin (IRCAM), premiered at Tenri Cultural Institute, ’10.